hover animation preload

Friday Afternoon Fun Ride
by Leigh in

            Finally, after two long months of convalescence and rehab of my ankle fracture, I took my first longish (13 miles) post injury bike ride today with a friend of mine.  It was a casual ride with me on my rando bike which was recently fitted with flat pedals.  (I am not riding clipped in yet and I still have a small ankle brace.)  The weather was cool with temperatures in the mid 30’s, a bit cloudy, but dry.  Our destination was Old Town Fort Collins for a couple of errands and maybe a coffee and breakfast burrito for lunch.
            The bike path was dry and smooth.  It felt good to feel my legs turning the pedals.  I kept the gearing very light as I sensed the tendons and muscles in my foot, ankle and lower leg switching on as they were activated.  My rehab and physical therapy has created a new awareness of the wonder of the human body.  I am amazed at the interconnectedness of our musculoskeletal system and our nervous system.  I find myself marveling at how movement of some part of my body sends a neurological message to my brain and in turn my body responds.  All the years I have heard people telling me that posture, balance, muscle movement, skeletal alignment, and nervous system response are all connected is coming to light.  Weakness and strength are a result of many contributing factors.
            We rode into town via a street lined with historic homes and college fraternity houses.  Our first stop was the main branch of the public library for me to make a return.  The library is adjacent to the Fort Collins museum and features some of the first settler’s homes.  A bronze sculpture of Annie the Railroad Dog sits outside the main entrance of the library.  Annie was the mascot of the Mason Street Railroad station and greeted arriving passengers some 60 years ago.  I smiled with appreciation at the recognition of this human and animal bond. 
            We pedaled over to Oak Street and obeyed the city laws and walked our bikes downtown.  Our town features many historic buildings that have meeting rooms available for use.  As board members of our local cycling club, we found ourselves looking for space for an upcoming meeting.  The Armstrong Hotel caught our eye and we stopped by the lobby to get some information.  Standing outside keeping an eye on our bikes, I peered up at the second story windows of this fully functioning historic hotel.  I realized those windows that I was looking at were actually guest rooms and I imagined the travelers and their stories from days gone past. 
            Our next stop was the Fort Collins Masonic Temple.  Built in the 1920’s, the style is of the Beaux Arts era complete with a central portico, columns and cornices.  We met the facilities manager who is also a Mason.  We were graced with a tour of this amazing building including the lower level commercial kitchen complete with dumb waiter and a fabulous old oven.  Our guide even let us peek into the boiler room.  At one time a coal fired heating system warmed these rooms.  Walking through the various rooms of the Temple I imagined both the history and mystery of the Freemasons in Northern Colorado.           
Leaving the main section of town, we decided to visit a friend of ours.  For months I had been hearing about Bentley, a pint sized dog who was the cutest Silky Terrier known to man.  As I had never met Bentley, I was beginning to think he was a concoction of my friend’s imagination.  She is an incredible dog lover at heart and has become Auntie to all of her friend’s dogs.
            Walking up to the porch I heard barking coming from inside.  Bentley was at home!  So was our friend and we were able to spend some time together.  We were welcomed into the warm kitchen and treated to an espresso and a piece of homemade German chocolate cake.  I have to say I was charmed by Bentley as he sat in my lap.   Our visit was easy, comfortable, spontaneous, and warm.  It was good to be in the company of these friends sharing in a life well lived.
            Making our way home we cut across the campus of Colorado State University.  Classes had just let out this Friday afternoon and students filled the grounds.  Cars, bikes and pedestrians shared the road without conflict.
            Arriving at home, I found we had company.  A friend of my husband had dropped by with his young son.  They had brought us freshly baked cookies and my husband and his friend were talking bike parts.  Another easy, warm and spontaneous interaction was taking place.  Our house was a mess, our dog was convalescing from a knee ligament injury, and my hair style was a cross between helmet head and Dragon Ball manga.  None of it seemed to matter to the participants who were in the moment of community and friendship.
            I felt a deep appreciation for the last few hours.  None of us had paid much attention to a schedule, a clock or an impending deadline.  The route had unfolded before me and I was woven into a fabric of old and new.  I had been nourished by exercise, food, warmth and friendship.  I felt like I was seeing my town and the environment for the first time.  I was deeply conscious of how different this felt than what I had known when I was so completely engaged in my corporate go go career life.  I remembered traveling through small villages and quaint towns, as a passerby looking from the outside in, and thinking the people there must be living rich and full lives.  I realized how magical this afternoon had been as I was no longer on the outside looking in.  I became the person living life fully and richly.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Leigh, this is an AMAZING blog! It's awesome seeing how your outlook on life is changing being out of the "corporate world". Congratulations.

Leigh said...

Thank you! I really feel like I am becoming an authentic person who is experiencing and celebrating life. Thanks for your support and being a part of this journey!

Post a Comment