hover animation preload

I Pimped My Blog
by Leigh in

Ok, maybe it is a bit over the top to say this blog got pimped.  But, it definitely got a makeover!  Below are the top 5 reasons why I revamped this blog:

1)  I needed inspiration to write regularly.  Let's face it, my posting frequency in 2011 has been lousy.  I have a few readers (thank you for hanging in there :) who have sent texts and e-mails asking me what gives.  I know a blog is really about content.  To me, it is more like a flower garden.  If it looks pretty, chances are I will water it.

2)  I wanted to prove that the underdog had more to offer than what most people thought.  I was reading a lot of blogs about blogging better (when in fact I should have been writing).  Many of these blogs proclaimed the virtues of WordPress over Blogger.  I was thoroughly convinced that if I wanted to upgrade the aesthetic quality of my blog, I would have to convert to WordPress.  I signed up for an account and tried to get started.  There were a few obstacles that immediately came up, the first of which was I never got an account activation e-mail.  Searching for a solution to that dilemma resulted in hours of scanning forums and being frustrated.  While I was trying to solve my WordPress challenges, I started to test WordPress templates that had been adapted for Blogger.  Once I found an adapted template that made my Blogger blog look and feel more like a WordPress blog I had the solution.  Yes, I had to do some basic (challenging for me) HTML editing but I still find Blogger is more intuitive than WordPress.  "If it doesn't work at first, find a work-around" proved itself in action.

3)  I am getting a feel for what I want to write about (it only took six months of blogging).  I have organized the posts using labels, and I am limiting the number of labels.   If you are looking for posts that have a Health and Wellness focus, you can click on that label and get all the posts which are concerned with Health and Wellness.  The major topics are Health and Wellness, Living Simply, Food, Writing, and Bicycling.  Since Lucky plays a prominent role in how this blog got started, she gets a section as well.  This is a personal blog and occassionally a post won't fit into a category.  Instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole, those posts will go into Assorted (assorted may have a sub-section).  You can still read the blog in chronological order if that is your preference.

4)  I have declared myself a Freelance Writer.  The last few months, I have been taking some awesome courses in Freelance Writing and have started to network with other writers and send query letters to editors.  My blog needed to serve as a reference about myself, my writing and how to get in touch with me.

5)  I wanted to make sure my posts were making an impact.  The format of each post only has a teaser opening and then you (dear reader) get to select if it is worthwhile to continue reading.  This will challenge me to write better.

There you have it - my reasons for pimping giving the blog a face lift.  However, it is not about me - it is about you, and I hope you will like and enjoy the new look, feel and navigation!

0 comments:

Post a Comment