hover animation preload

One Movie Review and My Favorite Five for 2010
by Leigh in

In the last few weeks I have found myself recommending a movie to friends while at holiday parties.  My husband and I enjoy movies and we watch many which are good, a few that are poor, and a handful that stand out as memorable.  Mind you, I am not that good at remembering movies in general.  I often forget actor's names and I have never been one to quote movie lines in conversation.

The recent stand out that I have been recommending is "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly."  This film was produced in 2008 and won the Golden Globe for Best Director Motion Picture and Best Foreign Film.  Some of the main points:

  • In French, English subtitles.  Also dubbed in English.  Not bad dubbing.
  • AWESOME Cinematography - the landscape was vivid and some of the scenes still flash across my mind's eye.
  • Based upon a true story.
  • Very good acting, intensely human emotional experiences.
In summary, the story follows the French editor of Elle Magazine, Jean-Dominique Bauby, who suffered from a major stroke paralyzing his entire body except for his left eye.  Bauby, who is a journalist and writer, used that eye to blink out his memoir.  The movie is filmed from Bauby's perspective resulting in the viewer experiencing the film.  "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" is poignant, inspiring and a celebration of the human spirit.

Topping my list of other 2010 favorite movies are:
  • The Blind Side - celebrates taking a chance on giving, a great feel good movie also based upon a true story.
  • Shutter Island - a psychological thriller, a bit longish, but some good twists and turns to the plot.
  • Inception - an exploration of dreams and the subconscious within a context of commercial espionage and cool technical effects.
  • The Visitor - a bored, lonely and widowed professor explores new forms of self expression and develops a zest for life.
Happy viewing and let me know your recommendations and favorites!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The blind side is one if my all time favorite movies!!

Leigh said...

Yes, I think it is one I could watch a few times. Any recommendations for other titles?

Post a Comment