hover animation preload

Lucky's Excellent Yurt Adventure
by Leigh in ,

Lucky has become an author on this blog!  The way this is done, Lucky barks out her message and I translate into human language for her.  This is her first major post:

Last weekend, my parents took me on a wilderness outing up near Cameron Pass.  It has taken me a week to recover - lots of lying around and resting up was in order as well as additional nutritional fortification.  I also needed to take several walks around my home turf to catch up on news and re-establish myself in my territory.  Here is my perspective on our adventure:

Adventure Type:  Overnight for 2 nights, light hiking and investigating of new turf
Location:  Never Summer Nordic Yurts - Walden, CO
Dates:  October 22-24 
Weather:  Wet at lower elevations, snow higher elevations on 10/22 and 10/23. Some clearing late afternoon of 10/23.  A winter storm warning issued on 10/24.
Comfort Level:  Better than tent camping - we did that two years ago and as a herding type I did not sleep a wink.  We stayed in a YURT which had a heat source (a wood stove), an insulated floor, and canvas walls.  Modest furnishings.  Would prefer a hotel, but mom and dad are into "adventuring" these days.

Most memorable moments:  
  1. Mom and Dad trying to figure out how to regulate the heat from the wood stove.  Before bed time on the first night, they loaded the stove up with logs and before long that place was so hot I began to think it was summer.  Mom and Dad stripped down to TShirts and not much else and we had the door to the YURT wide open to try and cool the place down.  I did not find this humorous - I mean a door wide open in the wilderness?  You ever hear of bears???
  2. Friday night's continual avalanche as the snow melted at the rooftop of the yurt then causing the accumulated snowfall on the roof to slide off creating what I think an avalanche might sound like. I was exhausted keeping my ears peeled to the outdoor noises - any lesser guard dog would have not been able to discern the footsteps of an approaching intruder over the avalanche noise.
  3. Playing stick chase in the snow on Saturday - first snow fall of the year!
  4. Hearing coyotes off in the distance - Mom first heard them early Saturday morning when she was half in and out of a dream - at first she thought they were laughing hyenas.  REALLY.  Half asleep dreaming humans are not the brightest of animals.
Summary:  Overall, a good break from the normal day to day life one has in town, residing in a house in a neighorhood.  Got in some good pets and massages as Mom and Dad were limited in activities being they were disconnected from the internet, computers and other time wasting distractions.  Not much hiking as I did not have my snow boots with me; some short walks to scope out the area.  Mom and Dad seemed to like the more basic style of living; they said it made them appreciate the little things in life.  I am not so sure I needed that experience to make me love my sofa even more, but it was a good family outing.


Home Sweet Home!
View from the deck of Yurt
Illinois River Overlook - Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge
Snow in the Pines - Cameron Pass
At a cafe on the way home, waiting for my share of a burger!


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww. Sounds like Lucky had a wonderful time. I had to laugh about the woodstove "mishap". That happens at my house all the time! It never fails, the first fire of the fall it's 85 degrees inside. My animals enjoy it though.

Post a Comment